We are finally starting to come out of possibly the worst winter that I can remember in much of this continent.

As the weather warms and spring cleaning becomes a thing to do, many people clean the radiators of their cars to get rid of the winter antifreeze. Unfortunately, this can pose a very dangerous health threat to our pets, especially our canine companions as antifreeze has an attractive sweet taste that they like to drink.

The main ingredient of antifreeze, ethylene glycol is very toxic and can cause severe damage to their kidneys resulting in death. So please, make sure to let every one know who you suspect will clean their car radiators to properly contain and dispose of the old antifreeze and keep any containers of it stored away on high shelves

You’re drunk, dog.

Charlie, a Maltese terrier from Australia, was saved from certain death the first weekend in March by veterinarians who fed him copious amounts of vodka.

Staff from Animal Accident & Emergency in Melbourne wrote on the facility’s blog that Charlie came in with a case of Ethylene Glycol poisoning. They wrote that Ethylene Glycol, a product commonly found in radiator and brake fluids, tastes sweet but causes kidney failure when ingested.

“In Australia, the only antidote we have is alcohol,” the blog states. “Alcohol alters the chemical reaction and stops the kidney failure from occurring.”
The pup was then hooked up to a frat boy’s dream:
Charlie had a tube placed through his nose to his stomach. Over about 48 hours, he was given successive doses of alcohol. The easiest form of alcohol is vodka.

In fact for the whole weekend, Charlie had a huge party with us in the Pet ICU.

“He was definitely drunk,” his owner, Jacinta Rosewarne, told the Herald Sun. “He was stumbling around, I’d go to pat him and he’d push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk.”

Charlie is now back to good health, and totally sober — for the time being.
Charlie isn’t the only party dog saved by booze.

In January, an American Staffordshire named Cleo received the same treatment after lapping up some anti-freeze